Pages


Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Branching Out

You may be starting to wonder if the only thing that I do is sketch and do simple digital coloring. The answer is a resounding no! In fact, I have branched out considerably in recent years. As an example, take a look at one of my projects:
Brand new hilt furniture!

Hours of hammering and cold-peening to hold it all together.

Not only did the sword get a makeover, it got a new scabbard!
That's right, I refinished a sword! I had a standard stage-combat sword sitting in my corner for several years, when I decided to dress it up and give it new life. Everything except the blade was tossed, new hilt pieces were assembled, a brand-new grip was carved, and the whole thing got a dressing with forest-green leather!

Art can come in many forms, and I have found that stretching your boundaries and moving out  (or jumping as hard and far from) your comfort zone can be the only thing that helps you grow. Not only as an artist, but as a person. You learn patience, courage (especially mid-way!), and a deep respect for those who are proficient in something you are just trying out.

Learning a new skill can also further your other skills. More on that tomorrow! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment